Quilters & Crafters
Fleece Stadium Blanket
- Cut two squares of fleece the same size. Layer the two fabrics together to make this easier. Use a square ruler in the corner to get you started. The finished size of your blanket will be approximately 72” x 60”. The extra fleece will be used for the binding and the appliqué.
- Stitch the two blanket sides together using a straight stitch and a ½” seam allowance. Increase the stitch length to 3.5. If you notice unnecessary stretching of the fabric, switch to a zig zag or stretch stitch.
- Trim your blanket with a fat binding. To do this, cut binding 5 times the finished width.
Pin binding to blanket edge, right sides together, keeping raw edges even.
- Sew the binding in place using a 1” seam allowance.
- Wrap the binding to the back side of blanket, wrapping it up and over to the other side.
- Working from the top side of your blanket, pin the trim into its finished position.
- Sew from the right side, stitching in the ditch to secure the trim to the back side.
- Use appliqué scissors to cut the excess trim close to the stitching line on the wrong side of the blanket.
- Stitch your double-sided appliqué. From contrasting fleece, cut 2 squares large enough to cover your chosen appliqué shape or letter.
- Draw or trace your appliqué shape onto mesh canvas or paper.
- Sandwich the blanket between the 2 squares of fleece in the desired appliqué position. Place the traced paper design on top of one of the squares.
- Hold the squares in place using the temporary spray adhesive.
- Stitch the appliqué outline through all three layers using a straight stitch. Sew slowly.
- Trim the excess contrasting fabric from the appliqué.
- You’re blanket is finished and ready to take with you to this weekend’s game!