Hearts on Fire Hot Pads
Hearts on Fire Hot Pads
A heartfelt simple project to brighten up your kitchen. This hot pad is in a mitt style with the over-sized heart left open as a pocket for your hand. Suitable for beginners, this project from start to finish will take roughly an hour.
Insulbright(TM) by the Warm Company (comes in a 45″ x 1 yd package)
1/2 yd of fabric for main print
Fat quarter for the heart
At least 32″ of double fold bias tape
- Using rotary cutter and rotary mat, cut the following:
– From the main print, cut (2) 9-1/2″ x 9-1/2″ squares and (1) 2″ wide x 4″ long hang tab.
– From the fat quarter, cut (2) of the hearts.
– From the Insulbright, cut (1) 8-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ square and (1) heart.
- Place 8-1/2″ square of Insulbright centered onto wrong side of fabric on one of the 9-1/2″ main fabric squares. Shiny side of Insulbright up, non-shiny side facing the wrong side of fabric. Pin in place all over.
- Quilt as desired.
- Press hanging tab in half. Open and then press each side to center, and then press in half again. Stitch length of tab.
- Baste tab in place into corner of quilted square.
- Place the remaining 9-1/2″ square right sides facing, on quilted square. Pin and stitch all the way around leaving a 4″ opening on one side for turning. When you reach the corners, gently curve your line of stitching.
- Clip corners.
- Turn right side out. Press and then edge stitch all the way around hot pad 1/8″ from edge.
- Layer hearts with one heart right side down on table, Insulbright sandwiched in the middle, and the other heart right side up. Pin and quilt as desired.
- Add your bias tape to the heart. Starting on a lower side, carefully place the heart into the fold of the tape and pin. Edge stitch to secure bias tap to heart. When you reach all the way around the heart back to where you began, fold your tape neatly under to secure at the end.
- Place the heart so that the bottom point of the heart is placed at a bottom corner of the main square. Pin in place so that the heart is open just enough for your hand to slide into. Adjust this fit to your own hand. Mark your stopping point towards the top of the heart where the hot pad will fit your hand best and not be too big and slide off.
- Use a zigzag stitch to attach heart pocket onto square piece.
Project design by Trish Preston
For personal, non-commercial use only.