Small Summer Tote
Small Summer Tote
A fun and simple tote to make for yourself or a friend!
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- Read through the directions completely before you begin.
- The estimated time to complete this project is about 1.5 hours.
- This project uses a ½” seam allowance unless otherwise stated.
- This project is great for beginners, especially if you’ve never made a bag!
(2) 14” wide x 10” tall rectangles for outside body of bag
(2) 14” x 10” rectangles for lining body of bag
(2) 9” wide x 6” tall rectangles for lining pocket
(2) 1-1/2” x 15” strips of faux-leather for handles
(2) 3” wide x 44” long strips for accent bow (optional)
(2) 14” x 10” rectangles of fusible fleece (apply to wrong side of both lining body pieces)
(1) 9” x 6” rectangle of fusible fleece (apply to wrong side of one pocket piece)
1. Fold body pieces in half (7” x 10”), using your OLFA ruler and rotary cutter, cut a 2”x2” square as shown below to box corners later. Repeat with lining body pieces.
2. Place pocket pieces right sides together and sew around all four edges, leaving a 2” opening in the bottom to turn. Trim corners as shown.
Turn pocket right sides out, press and top stitch ¼” seam along the top of pocket.
3. Measure 2” down from top center of lining body piece and pin pocket in place. Top stitch with a ¼” seam down both sides and across the bottom forming a pocket.
4. Place both lining pieces right sides together and pin in place. Sew down both sides and across the bottom, leaving a 4” opening in the bottom to turn later. Do not sew along boxed corners.
5. Pinch boxed corners to make a flat bottom, line up seams and pin in place. Sew across raw edges forming two boxed corners.
6. Place both body pieces right sides together and pin place. Sew down both sides and across the bottom. Pinch boxed corners to make a flat bottom, line up seams and pin in place. Sew across raw edges forming two boxed corners.
7. Place body inside of lining and pin around top edges, making sure your side seams are lined up! Sew all the way around top edge (and remove pins).
8. Turn bag right sides out through the 4” opening you left in the lining of the bag. Hand stitch or machine stitch 4” opening closed. Press around top of bag and top stitch with a ¼” seam all the way around the top of the bag.
9. Press one handle piece wrong sides together lengthwise (¾” x 15”). Lengthen stitch on your machine (I do a 2.7) and top stitch using 1/8” seam around all four sides of the handle. Repeat with second handle.
10. Find the top center of your bag on both sides. Measure to the right 2” and place one end of the strap about 1” down and pin in place. Measure to the left 2” and place the other end of the strap about 1” down and pin in place. Stitch and backstitch across each end of the handle, using the top stitch of your bag as your guide.
Repeat with second strap on the opposite side of the bag.
11. Place both bow strips right sides together and fold in half to measure 5”x22”. Cut off a 3” triangle on the ends using your OLFA mat and OLFA ruler as your guide.
12. Sew around all four edges of bow pieces, leaving a 2” opening in the center on one side to turn. Trim corners of bow just like you did in step 2 on the pocket. Turn bow right sides out through the 2” opening and press. Top stitch or hand stitch opening closed.
13. Tie bow around one strap end and enjoy your adorable summer tote!